Daruma Eco-Farm is a sustainable permaculture project located in Bang Phra, Thailand. We offer permaculture courses, have an artist-in-residency program, and are an active member of WWOOF (World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms). Volunteers coming to Daruma Eco-Farm can expect to work on anything from planting rice paddies to sustainable construction to boatbuilding. There are always different projects going on, depending on the season.
- Volunteers live and work alongside a Thai family.
- Thai-style meals are provided.
- The farm grows rice, sorghum, bananas, pineapples, peppers and a whole variety of other fruits and vegetables.
- Resident animals include cats, chickens, ducks, fish, a dog and two water buffalo.
- The farm utilizes integrated aquaculture and is working on a project to generate methane from buffalo dung.
- Rice paddies are planted according to the System of Rice Intensification (SRI).
Daruma Eco-Farm is inspired by the principles of permaculture as laid out by its founders, Bill Mollison and David Holmgren. The three primary ethics of permaculture are Earth Care, People Care and Fair Share.